Well... it’s been a whirlwind of a week.
I got a call Tuesday at supper time from my surgeons office asking if I would be available for my right hip revision surgery Wednesday morning. I was originally told I would likely wait a year for this surgery, so I said yes without hesitation. Luckily I had all the ‘equipment’ from my surgery last year, so I cleaned up my apartment, did some laundry and sat and hoped I was making the right decision to have the revision surgery.
My surgeon came to see me twice in pre-op to chat about what he was planning to do. My MRI-arthrogram had shown a lot of adhesions, but he wasn’t 100% sure exactly what he was going to find in there. He explained that he would do everything he could for me but couldn’t guarantee that this would take away my pain or that the adhesions wouldn't form again. Obviously I was scared as hell, but I have been in so much pain over the past several months I had to take the chance. I knew I would be in excellent hands with Dr. Wong and so off to the OR I went.
The surgery went well... my labrum was fully intact and healed, which is the best news possible. Unfortunately I had probably one of the worst cases of adhesive capsulitis my surgeon has ever seen. He released a ton of adhesions as well as my psoas tendon that was snapping against my labrum again, which was keeping my labrum inflamed. He then cauterized around my hip and capsule to make sure there was no bleeding inside my hip, to try to prevent the scar tissue from forming again.
So far, recovery is going much better than last time. I have a lot less pain and my mobility is so much better. I only had to wear my hip brace for one day, as my surgeon doesn’t want me restricted at all in order to prevent the adhesions from forming again. I am still on crutches, but won’t be for 6 weeks like last time, which is wonderful.
So for now, it’s time to keep my hip moving and try to prevent scar tissue from forming again and hope that this is it, for the right hip anyway!
I got a call Tuesday at supper time from my surgeons office asking if I would be available for my right hip revision surgery Wednesday morning. I was originally told I would likely wait a year for this surgery, so I said yes without hesitation. Luckily I had all the ‘equipment’ from my surgery last year, so I cleaned up my apartment, did some laundry and sat and hoped I was making the right decision to have the revision surgery.
My surgeon came to see me twice in pre-op to chat about what he was planning to do. My MRI-arthrogram had shown a lot of adhesions, but he wasn’t 100% sure exactly what he was going to find in there. He explained that he would do everything he could for me but couldn’t guarantee that this would take away my pain or that the adhesions wouldn't form again. Obviously I was scared as hell, but I have been in so much pain over the past several months I had to take the chance. I knew I would be in excellent hands with Dr. Wong and so off to the OR I went.
The surgery went well... my labrum was fully intact and healed, which is the best news possible. Unfortunately I had probably one of the worst cases of adhesive capsulitis my surgeon has ever seen. He released a ton of adhesions as well as my psoas tendon that was snapping against my labrum again, which was keeping my labrum inflamed. He then cauterized around my hip and capsule to make sure there was no bleeding inside my hip, to try to prevent the scar tissue from forming again.
So far, recovery is going much better than last time. I have a lot less pain and my mobility is so much better. I only had to wear my hip brace for one day, as my surgeon doesn’t want me restricted at all in order to prevent the adhesions from forming again. I am still on crutches, but won’t be for 6 weeks like last time, which is wonderful.
So for now, it’s time to keep my hip moving and try to prevent scar tissue from forming again and hope that this is it, for the right hip anyway!
Comments
Post a Comment