Well, it's been 6 months (that's half a year) since I got my hip fixed!
It's been a while since I made a blog post. Progress has been slow, so there wasn't much need of a post.
I made great progress after having my psoas dry needled for 4 weeks. My passive ROM went from 90 degrees to 120 degrees (as of last week). My active ROM is still limited but has gone from about 90 degrees to 95 degrees. My physiotherapists have been rotating dry needling different areas of my body including my right and left hips, right and left glutes, right and left quads and my lower back.
Since I was two weeks post op, I have been going to pool therapy once per week. As of last week my PT suggested we put pool therpay on hold, as my hip has been very irritable over the past month or so, constantly aching (to the point where I can hardly sleep, EVER). So, I didn't go to the pool last Thursday and what a difference. The pool has helped me greatly with my endurance over the past 6 months, but for some reason lately it has been bothering my hip. One week off of pool has made a huge difference and the aching seems to be easing up!
Most of my PT exercises have been the same since my last several posts. Lots of lunges, squats, bridges. I continue to use the upright bike 30 minutes daily and have slowly been increasing the resistance. At physiotherapy I have been working on some more functional movements to try to build strength so that I can return to work. Squatting too low and picking up any amount of weight seems to really irritate my hip as well, so we are taking baby steps with these functional movements.
I am thrilled that this week my PT has allowed me to do some forward and lateral hopping on and off the bosu ball as well as jog on the treadmill (walk one minute, jog one minute x4). I was terrified that the impact of hitting the ground or the treadmill would hurt, but surprisingly it doesn't! I am very, very happy about this. It was the most exciting moment at physiotherapy when I got on the treadmill and the staff were cheering me on. I'll be allowed to do this 2 times a week while at PT for the next little while. I have to remind myself that this jogging on the treadmill is mainly to get me comfortable moving faster and increase my confidence for quicker movements so that I can return to work. I would absolutely love to just run 5km, but I know that would not be good for either of my hips. As exciting as it is to jog, I have to respect the fact that I do have unrepaired FAI on my left hip and so I have to be careful not to make that side too angry either.
I continue to wait for an MRI on the left side. Hopefully by January. Until then, I just have to focus on strengthening the left side too, incase it needs surgery as well. Interestingly, my right (surgical) side, seems to be stronger than my left side now (and I do all of my PT exercises using both legs haha).
I see my surgeon in 2.5 weeks for my 6 month post op appointment, so will give more updates after I see him. For now, I would say that I am happy to have made some progress in the past month and that the pain is slowly starting to ease up. I am starting to feel stronger, but I know I still have a lot of recovery left ahead of me.
It's been a while since I made a blog post. Progress has been slow, so there wasn't much need of a post.
I made great progress after having my psoas dry needled for 4 weeks. My passive ROM went from 90 degrees to 120 degrees (as of last week). My active ROM is still limited but has gone from about 90 degrees to 95 degrees. My physiotherapists have been rotating dry needling different areas of my body including my right and left hips, right and left glutes, right and left quads and my lower back.
Since I was two weeks post op, I have been going to pool therapy once per week. As of last week my PT suggested we put pool therpay on hold, as my hip has been very irritable over the past month or so, constantly aching (to the point where I can hardly sleep, EVER). So, I didn't go to the pool last Thursday and what a difference. The pool has helped me greatly with my endurance over the past 6 months, but for some reason lately it has been bothering my hip. One week off of pool has made a huge difference and the aching seems to be easing up!
Most of my PT exercises have been the same since my last several posts. Lots of lunges, squats, bridges. I continue to use the upright bike 30 minutes daily and have slowly been increasing the resistance. At physiotherapy I have been working on some more functional movements to try to build strength so that I can return to work. Squatting too low and picking up any amount of weight seems to really irritate my hip as well, so we are taking baby steps with these functional movements.
I am thrilled that this week my PT has allowed me to do some forward and lateral hopping on and off the bosu ball as well as jog on the treadmill (walk one minute, jog one minute x4). I was terrified that the impact of hitting the ground or the treadmill would hurt, but surprisingly it doesn't! I am very, very happy about this. It was the most exciting moment at physiotherapy when I got on the treadmill and the staff were cheering me on. I'll be allowed to do this 2 times a week while at PT for the next little while. I have to remind myself that this jogging on the treadmill is mainly to get me comfortable moving faster and increase my confidence for quicker movements so that I can return to work. I would absolutely love to just run 5km, but I know that would not be good for either of my hips. As exciting as it is to jog, I have to respect the fact that I do have unrepaired FAI on my left hip and so I have to be careful not to make that side too angry either.
I continue to wait for an MRI on the left side. Hopefully by January. Until then, I just have to focus on strengthening the left side too, incase it needs surgery as well. Interestingly, my right (surgical) side, seems to be stronger than my left side now (and I do all of my PT exercises using both legs haha).
I see my surgeon in 2.5 weeks for my 6 month post op appointment, so will give more updates after I see him. For now, I would say that I am happy to have made some progress in the past month and that the pain is slowly starting to ease up. I am starting to feel stronger, but I know I still have a lot of recovery left ahead of me.
Here is a video of me hopping for the first time at home, after doing so in PT.
Comments
Post a Comment