Skip to main content

15 weeks post op

Can't believe I am 15 weeks post hip scope!

One step forward, two steps back, is basically how this recovery has gone for me. I saw Dr. Wong on Monday, and he reassured me that it's okay I am still having pain at this point in my recovery. He said that my hip fatigues very easily and that's okay. 

Some days are better than others, but the pain has been a huge concern for me at this point, so I am relieved to know that it's okay. My strength is improving, which I was happy about as well. 

Unfortunately, I did find out that I have femoral acetabular impingement (FAI) in my left hip as well- a pincer lesion to be exact. This was shitty news, but I wasn't overly surprised, as my gut was telling me I had it on the left side as well. So, I will have another MRI with arthrogram on the left hip to see if there is a labral tear. Dr. Wong said that it is too soon to know if the left side would require surgery, as the right is still healing. My hope, of course, is that once my right hip is healed and my left hip stops working over time to compensate, that the left hip will settle down. 

Anyway, I certainly have learned a lot over the past 15 weeks and am looking forward to being a nurse again at some point and not the patient anymore. As one amazing woman told me recently, this is just a season in our lives. I know that in the long run this will all sort itself out and it will all have been worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

femoral acetabular impingement: an invisible illness

I n April 2016 I was diagnosed with a condition called femoral acetabular impingement (FAI).  FAI is a condition where the hip socket (the acetabulum) and the femur abnormally rub against each other when bending or rotating the hip, which can cause sharp pain and pinching of the labrum. The labrum is a layer of soft tissue that lines the hip socket; sometimes it can be damaged or torn due to FAI. In FAI bone spurs develop around the femoral head (the ball part of the hip joint) and/or on the acetabulum (the socket part of the hip joint). There are 3 different types of FAI: CAM (when bone spurs form on the femoral head), pincer (when bone spurs form on the acetabulum) or you can have both types, called mixed FAI. The abnormal shape of the femoral head or acetabulum can lead to joint damage and pain. Some people have FAI and never experience pain or any type of symptoms and may never know that they have it. However, when symptoms and pain do develop, this often indicates that the...

living with femoral acetabular impingement and a labral tear

S taying active and healthy hasn't been the easiest task after you find out you have a torn labrum and live with pain daily. Over the course of the majority of my adult life, my favorite hobby and form of exercise has been running. Unfortunately, when you have a hip impingement and a torn labrum, running is one of the worst things for your hips. Receiving this diagnosis and not being able to run hasn't exactly been easy on my mental health either. And that means, eating my emotions away with all the junk foods!  Over the past several months I have gotten to a point where I know I need to change. I need to change for both my physical health to get strong for my surgery, as well as my mental health. I decided to join Beachbody in January. For me this meant I would have other women that I could check in with daily and keep myself accountable for exercising and eating a balanced diet. They have so many different exercise programs with the Beachbody on-demand, so I have been abl...

diagnosis: femoral acetabular impingement with labral tear

I t all began in January of 2016.  I can remember it clearly. I was walking up a pathway at my favorite place in the world, Live Aqua Cancun. I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my groin and my hip felt as though it was locked. After a couple of steps it totally went away, so I blew it off and didn't spend another second thinking about it - until, that very night when I would climb in to bed and felt that same sharp, catching pain. I wiggled my leg around and after a minute it went away, just as it had the first time. I remember telling my mother, who was with me at the time. I thought, "well this is pretty strange", but I was on vacation so I quickly forgot about it and continued to enjoy my time in paradise. It happened several more times during that trip, mainly while walking, running on the treadmill or climbing into bed. After I got home from a week in Cancun, I noticed the sharp, catching pain occasionally, which was concerning, however, the constant ache in my gro...