Skip to main content

it's MRI arthrogram day

Well, here we are a year after my symptoms developed. 

After 10 months of waiting, I am finally having my MRI with arthrogram. In a nutshell, this means that I will go to x-ray and the radiologist will inject MRI dye into my hip, while watching what he is doing via x-ray. Once the dye is in my hip, I will go in the MRI machine. 

Today was an early morning, as mom and I drove to New Glasgow for this MRI (apparently a faster waiting period that to have it done in Halifax - and it still took 10 months, WTF? that's Canada for ya). 

The staff were amazing in NG. Just as I anticipated, I went to x-ray and the radiologist Dr. MacEachern was fantastic. First he put some freezing into my hip. Then he put some contrast dye in, so he could see where he was going on the x-ray screen. Then came the fun part - he put a LARGE (very long) needle into my hip and injected the MRI dye. After that was finished, I hobbled over to the MRI room, where the staff were fabulous. They wrapped me in a warm blanket and into the tube I went. I believe I was in there for about 40 minutes. 

Thankfully my mother was with me, as there is no way I could have driven home afterwards, as it is my right hip. I am still quite sore and am taking Advil/Tylenol and resting with my magic bag.  

Next up, wait for MRI results, and continue to wait for a surgery date!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

femoral acetabular impingement: an invisible illness

I n April 2016 I was diagnosed with a condition called femoral acetabular impingement (FAI).  FAI is a condition where the hip socket (the acetabulum) and the femur abnormally rub against each other when bending or rotating the hip, which can cause sharp pain and pinching of the labrum. The labrum is a layer of soft tissue that lines the hip socket; sometimes it can be damaged or torn due to FAI. In FAI bone spurs develop around the femoral head (the ball part of the hip joint) and/or on the acetabulum (the socket part of the hip joint). There are 3 different types of FAI: CAM (when bone spurs form on the femoral head), pincer (when bone spurs form on the acetabulum) or you can have both types, called mixed FAI. The abnormal shape of the femoral head or acetabulum can lead to joint damage and pain. Some people have FAI and never experience pain or any type of symptoms and may never know that they have it. However, when symptoms and pain do develop, this often indicates that the...

living with femoral acetabular impingement and a labral tear

S taying active and healthy hasn't been the easiest task after you find out you have a torn labrum and live with pain daily. Over the course of the majority of my adult life, my favorite hobby and form of exercise has been running. Unfortunately, when you have a hip impingement and a torn labrum, running is one of the worst things for your hips. Receiving this diagnosis and not being able to run hasn't exactly been easy on my mental health either. And that means, eating my emotions away with all the junk foods!  Over the past several months I have gotten to a point where I know I need to change. I need to change for both my physical health to get strong for my surgery, as well as my mental health. I decided to join Beachbody in January. For me this meant I would have other women that I could check in with daily and keep myself accountable for exercising and eating a balanced diet. They have so many different exercise programs with the Beachbody on-demand, so I have been abl...

diagnosis: femoral acetabular impingement with labral tear

I t all began in January of 2016.  I can remember it clearly. I was walking up a pathway at my favorite place in the world, Live Aqua Cancun. I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my groin and my hip felt as though it was locked. After a couple of steps it totally went away, so I blew it off and didn't spend another second thinking about it - until, that very night when I would climb in to bed and felt that same sharp, catching pain. I wiggled my leg around and after a minute it went away, just as it had the first time. I remember telling my mother, who was with me at the time. I thought, "well this is pretty strange", but I was on vacation so I quickly forgot about it and continued to enjoy my time in paradise. It happened several more times during that trip, mainly while walking, running on the treadmill or climbing into bed. After I got home from a week in Cancun, I noticed the sharp, catching pain occasionally, which was concerning, however, the constant ache in my gro...